Four State CVEB April 26th, 2019 Meeting
Hospice of the Panhandle
330 Hospice Lane
Kearneysville WV 25430
The meeting was called to order at 10:30 am by Sgt. At Arms Joseph Holliday.
Pledge of Allegiance and Moment of Silence was conducted and observed.
President: Simone Hawthorne
Vice President: Absent
Communication Liaison: Dave Ranck
Communication Liaison: Absent
Sgt. At Arms – Joe Holliday
Director of Martinsburg VAMC – Tim Cooke
Veteran Experience Office – Laureen Barone
Founding Co-chair – Joseph Bowers
Meeting was streamed live on Facebook and available as Zoom meeting:
17 members were in attendance and two members on Zoom -see Attendance Sheet
Last month’s Minutes were not available and were not read or approved.
A motion to go with a monthly theme to better accommodate the VA employees was discussed – not yet voted on.
Education Report & Employment
Lee Conlon with WV Workforce, Senator Manchine Job Fair, Job Fair at the National Guard Armory
Educational Benefit Awareness Night being held on May 16th at the National Guard Armory.
Public Health/Spiritual Report
VA Chaplin T.J. Hardy reported on an ongoing Program Warrior Soulmates. Better communicate with loved ones.
Tom Smith / Bill -presented information on American Legion acting as 501c3 partner for the parade, fundraiser for the parade. Fundraisers (Yard Sale) at the Woods by the American Legion
Looking for a partner to handling finances for the Four State CVEB -Dav reporting approaching United Way = Tom will check with Legion
- President Simone Hawthorne reported that Members should go to our website at www.fourstatecveb.org to subscribe again to get emails about upcoming meetings and Agendas from the new system (Mail Chimp), but can still use email@example.com to send in messages.
- Presidents and Chairs of CVEB’s in VSN 5 and Loudon County have agreed to meet before the quarterly MAC (Management Advisory Conference) Meeting to exchange information and connect VSN 5 CVEB’s.
- Every Tuesday, from 11 am to 4 pm, Simone Hawthorne and Dave Ranck will be at the Martinsburg Hub to discuss any issues, members and Veterans and their families might have. You can also stop by for lunch or Coffee. Tim Cooke agreed and concurred with the concept
- Four State CVEB Forum – target date September 2019– Volunteers Needed -Ana Stead from the VA stated she was interested – but did not want to lead it. The forum will focus on Transportation issues, Mental Health and Networking, to address main issues that were found by the 2017 Four State CVEB Survey.
- VA Mission Act for Veterans was discussed and will be presented at the May meeting by Laureen Weinbrenner from the VA.
- Pilar from Houses for Heroes Program introduced their special ability to help Veterans buy their own home.
- AMVETS post in Falling Waters talked about getting more involved in the Four State CVEB activities. They were not aware of our existence.
- Tara Reeves-Martin reported on Rep. Mooney Round table History Project that was attended by Simone Hawthorne and Dave Ranck. The Veterans History Project of the Library of Congress is to collect, preserve, and make accessible the personal accounts of American wartime Veterans so that future generations may hear directly from the Veterans and understand the realities of war. You can read more at www.loc.gov/vets
- Joseph Bowers talked about his concerns of getting more community involvement and awareness being of great importance and should be focused on by the Four State officers.
- Laureen Barone reported on the status of CVEB’S in VSN5
- Tim Cooke discussed the Four CVEB being the first in the area and issues that arose as a result
- Lisha Burke – Blue Ridge Community and Technical College – Recovery Coach Program for Substance Abuse. Grants and community service involvement. Call us at 304-240-0969 for more information.
The meeting adjourned at 12:30 pm by Sgt. @ Arms Joseph Holliday