Four State CVEB Minutes
Hospice of the Panhandle
330 Hospice Lane
Kearneysville WV 25430
Meeting in the Education Center
Conference Line: Dial US: +1 408 740 3766
Meeting ID: 839 274 927
August 31, 2018
10:30 – 12:30
- Meeting Facilitator: Sam Rock and Jamila Fleet(Co-chairs)
- Host: Hospice of the Panhandle
- Call to order / Pledge of Allegiance (Led by Sam Rock)
- Moment of Silence (Led by Sam Rock)
- Circulate sign-in sheet
- Read Mission Statement
- UPDATE Members on Veterans Day Parade Planning/Progress
Committee met with Lt. Doyle from the Martinsburg City Police Department and went through arrangements and process of the parade including where barriers will be set up. Union Sales permitted to use the parking lot. The parade will go down Queen Street. If there is a float, meeting place will be at the Sheriff’s Department. Martinsburg City Police will provide police vehicle to signal start of parade. Fundraiser at Walmart raised $333.20 for event. The committee is looking into other ways to raise money. Next meeting date TBA. Money collected so far $510.00 Tri-State Submariners, $500.00 from Valley College and $480.00 from the first car wash. Committee discussed T-Shirt and Banner prices.
Andrea Riley (Victim Advocate @ Shenandoah Women’s Center/Domestic Violence Victims Task Force
Cat Hagodorn (Family Resource Network/Catholic Charities)
Mya Daniels and Marisha Carpenter (intern @ Shenandoah Women’s Center)
- Sam has received a donation of (men’s) shirts (please take shirts with you when you go if you know where a need is)
- Sam raffles off a bucket of car wash supplies (estimated value $80.00)
- Sam was invited to New York by WWE and met with NBC Universal. Once CVEB is 501 C3, NBC would like to donate funds. Sam also has been chosen to participate in the Wounded Warrior leadership project. Support groups and agency support to come.
- Jamila updates on Sponsorship questions and request suggestions from group members in regards to ideas on additional agencies to invite. All organizations are invited. Open event. Anyone from the VAMC that would like to attend the event should see Sarah Tolstyka. .EPTA has reached out and offered to assist with transporting Veterans to and from the Parade. Sam is working with Air National Guard in attempt to get a “flyover” prior to parade start. Sam has also reached out to MPD for an opening escort.
- LaDonna Weller (CVEB Secretary) will have flyers at the next meeting advertising CVEB meeting date and times. Officers encourage membership to pass flyers out to increase CVEB awareness.
- Lori Barrone Veteran Experience Officer provides update. Lori covers Maryland West Virginia and D. C. Lori commends Frederick County CVEB for their help with a recent veteran crisis. New VA Secretary (Tom) has been appointed, focus on Customer Service. Mrs. Barrone is reaching out to promotes Vet Talk X exercises. These are positive uplifting stories about veterans in the communities.
- Presentation by Cicily Burrows from SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)
- New Position nominees (Voting will take place @ next meeting)
Chris Basch- Treasurer
Jocelyn Doyle-Internal Communication Liaison
Danielle Clum-External Communication Liaison
- By Law Update- Working with WVU Law Clinic and has been assigned a team that will provide best practice for by laws in regards to membership organizations
- UPCOMING EVENTS
Americorp student requesting participation in a 9/11 Ceremony to honor service members
September 6 -Mobile Food Pantry @ Jefferson County DHHR
September 14-Mental Health First Aid Training (Contact Joseph Holliday @ Blue Ridge)
September 19-20 – Training on how to recognize signs of homicide in DV situations
October 25- WV National Guard Resource Fair (Contact LuAnne Kramer for information)
- NEXT MEETING: September 28, 2018 (10:30-12:30) @ Hospice